Hyperpigmentation presents itself in many ways including white spots, dark spots and a general unevenness of the skin. The reasons for hyperpigmentation vary. Sometimes it’s hormonal or caused by things like pregnancy, other times it’s genetic. Whatever the ultimate cause, it’s important to know that this condition is actually a form of oversensitivity and the measures taken to improve it often involve finding ways to calm both the system and the skin.
- Drink lots of water: Drinking more water helps nearly every function of the body and improving the internal system always reflects in the skin. Our favorite water is Neo Water because of its high PH and refreshing taste. Alkaline water is also excellent for balancing the acidity in the system
- Cut the acidity: As previously mentioned, hyper-pigmentation is a form of oversensitivity and acidity is one of the hardest things on the system. Oranges, apples, tomatoes and vinegar are some of the worst culprits, so it’s best not to eat them too often
- Eat your veggies: We all know eating healthy is important, but did you know that a lack of vegetables in one’s system actually contributes to the skin’s overall sensitivity and reactiveness? Greens, especially kale are best.
- Keep it real: Food additives have a very negative effect on the evenness of the skin. Avoid artificial sweeteners and preservatives and be sure to get only nitrate free deli meats.
- Stay hydrated inside and out: Of course water is the best way to stay hydrated, but oils help the skin immensely as well. Avocado Oil is one of our favorites. It’s highly hydrating and helps with fine lines, but it also helps to even the skin.
- Protect yourself from the sun and sunblock: Too much sun exposure can really exacerbate a pigmentation issue so be sure to wear sunblock and a hat when going outside. Then, before bed make sure you thoroughly remove your sunblock with at least 3 cleansings.
- Cleanse: This is how you balance the system from the outside and it’s extremely important. A thorough cleansing routine complete with Cleanser and Toner is the best way to even the texture and pigmentation of the skin.
Hyperpigmentation may seem daunting, but if you treat your skin for what it is—sensitive, you can change your skin by changing a few core habits.