The seasons are changing and it’s time to prepare for the influx of cooler weather. We’ve enjoyed our fun in the sun, but we need to repair our skin from extended exposure. Even with sunblock and wind protection, the products we use to prevent damage and the time spent outdoors coarsen the skin and leave it ruddy with bumps under or on the cheeks, forehead and neck. The transition from summer to fall is the skincare season of repairing and preparing: repairing the summer damage with products that calm the skin and preparing for the dry air months ahead with plenty of hydration.
Here’s how to Repair and Prepare!
- Proper Cleansing: Ok, we know we say this every time, but it’s so important! ÀTOI’s number 1 “rule of thumb” and the best way to reverse summer sun damage is with a gentle cleansing routine. Any of the 4 ÀTOI lines will clean the pores superbly, but Soothing and Clarifying are our particular favorites after the summer season since they are so calming for the skin.
- Proper Cleansing part 2: How you cleanse matters. In case you missed it, Gentle is the operative word. Rubbing too hard on the skin leads to coarsened skin over time. To be sure you’re cleansing as gently as possible, use rolled 100% cotton sprayed with distilled water to remove your Cleansing Milk and apply Toner with a smaller piece of 100% cotton.
- Avoid Exfoliants: While you’re restoring the skin, skip the exfoliant. Even ÀTOI’s gentle exfoliant should not be used until the skin calms down and evens out.
- Proper Nighttime Cleansing: Breakfast may be the most important meal, but your nighttime cleansing is the most important routine. At the end of the day, cleanse 3-4 times in a row with ÀTOI Cleansing Milk to clean the pores and calm the skin. Follow with 2 applications of ÀTOI Toner. View the full ÀTOI ROUTINE!
- Drink up! It is so good to keep the body moisturized inside and outside. Water does that nutritionally. Alkaline water is best because it benefits the whole system and neutralizes acidity, which aggravates and causes blotchiness and irritation. It may be easier to drink more water in the summer heat, but it’s just as important to keep your water intake up during the cold months ahead so that extreme central heating doesn’t take its toll on our skin. Drinking small amounts of water throughout the day is a healthy and easy way to stay hydrated and is so beneficial for mind and body.
- Pack on the Moisture: For an extraordinarily hydrating lift, do what the French call a “Packing” on the skin. After the Toner dries, apply at least 3 heavy layers of your ÀTOI Eye Cream and respective Soothing Day/Night, Strengthening Vitamin E or Nourishing Night Cream onto the face and neck and leave it on for as long as you are able. Relax and feel those healing French Ingredients working their magic and restoring the pores and texture of the skin in as little as 20 minutes, or longer if you have the time. Then, massage cream onto face and neck and blot away excess with an unscented tissue. Check your beautiful complexion before going out. You won’t believe what your skin looks like: restored and radiant. You can, if you like, put makeup over it, but you may decide your skin looks so good you can skip it and let everyone admire your radiant complexion.
Whatever the weather may bring, loving your skin is always in season. If you have any questions, we’re always here to help guide you from a stunning summer to a fabulous fall. Visit atoiskincare.com for more information and helpful tips!