The summer temperatures are here with the humidity and long days of sun. Some of us have enjoyed our days in the sun a little too much and our skin is paying for it. The good news is some of that damage can be reversed simply by cultivating the good habits we didn’t know about in our youth. It is never too late to start taking care of your skin and the right mix of skin-healthy lifestyle changes and quality skincare products can greatly improve and significantly restore the skin.
Reversing the effects of overexposure isn’t nearly as difficult as we think.
- Drink up! Summer is water time and it’s impossible to overemphasize the effects of good hydration on the skin. Drink water all during the day to keep the body moisturized inside and out. Alkaline water is especially helpful.
- SPF and Moisturizer: Protect the skin first with ÀTOI’s SPF-free moisturizer and then with sunblock. This will minimize any possible irritation caused by the sunblock.
- The 90 Minute Rule: Reapply sunblock every 90 minutes.
- Avoid combination SPFs: Makeup and moisturizers with SPF do not provide sufficient protection from continued outdoor activity and often irritate the skin.
- Cultivate a Hat Habit: A hat with a 2-3 inch brim provides excellent protection. Even if you don’t feel you look your best in hats, there is a style and version for everyone. If you have a friend or associate who you think is stylish, enlist their help. They will be flattered and you will be more confident and able to pick your next hat on your own. Plus, who can resist a shopping trip!
- Keep your Cleansing and Moisturizing Routine: This is one of the best things you can do to soften wrinkles and improve previous sun damage. ÀTOI began because my mother had discoloration from years of sailing and not protecting her skin. It was the ÀTOI Cleansing and Moisturizing Routine that saved and improved her skin. At the end of the day always cleanse 3-4 times with the ÀTOI Cleansing Milk. The first 2 cleansings unclog the pores; the next 1-2 cleansings even the skin and reduce lines. If you are able to do this thorough of a cleansing, you will see improvement so noticeable you won’t recognize your own skin. Follow with at least 2 applications of ÀTOI Toner to even the skin and close the pores. Finally, the Soothing Day/Night Cream or Strengthening Vitamin E Cream should be applied to calm and even the skin and improve the pores which are often raised from prolonged sun exposure. If your skin is particularly irritable from sunblock, ÀTOI’s Soothing and Clarifying collections are excellent after sun exposure.
When it comes to changing sun-damaged skin, we think there’s no solution. However, reversing the effects of overexposure isn’t nearly as difficult as we think. A bottle of water, SPF, a hat and some really amazing ÀTOI Cleansers and Moisturizers will do the trick!