Any time you’re having a skin issue, the first question to ask is, “am I drinking enough water?” In most cases the answer is no and even if we think we’re drinking enough, we often find our skin and bodies are greatly improved by adding even just a little more. The wonders of water are that it clears the body of toxins, hydrates and helps the function of nearly every part of the body—including our skin. Here’s a deeper look into the kinds of water that are most beneficial and how to use them for healthy, glowing skin.
Eating and drinking consciously and responsibly can save you body and soul.
- Switch to Alkaline Water: Drinking any type of water is beneficial and better than other beverage options, but tap water contains a variety of minerals and chemicals. For this reason Spring water is better than tap, but Alkaline Water is King. With the increase of toxins from outside and inside our body, alkaline water becomes one of our first lines of defense. Alkaline water helps the body get rid of acid from food and drink so that our body and skin stays balanced. Too much acidity is very bad for the skin and contributes to blotches and bumps. This issue becomes an even greater concern as we age and our bodies become more sensitive to acidity.
- Drink Water to Stay on Track: The skin is the largest organ of the body, and what we put in our body usually shows itself in our skin. Even if we’re generally aware of how different foods affect our skin and our bodies, when we’re at peak stress levels our water intake suffers and we eat whatever is available, convenient and suits our immediate cravings. This is so damaging to our body and to our complexion. Drinking alkaline water is a great reminder that good nutrition can taste good and reminds us to stay grounded and focused when stress kicks in. Eating and drinking consciously and responsibly can save you body and soul. The self-esteem that comes from making it through seemingly unending and unmanageable work and life issues without losing all our good habits is priceless and life changing.
- Rinse with Distilled Water: For the same reasons that tap water isn’t the best choice for your body, it’s also not the best choice for your skin. The chemicals found in tap water can be a source of irritation, especially for anyone with sensitive skin. Distilled water not only lacks potentially irritating chemicals, it can even help to calm the skin. Fill a spray bottle with distilled water and spritz it onto 100% rolled, non-sterile cotton. Use the cotton to rinse the skin and allow it to air dry. Do this morning and night. By using the soft, chemical free cotton and allowing the skin to air-dry, you avoid contact with the rough texture and any residual, skin-irritating detergent found on towels. This simple addition makes a wonderful improvement in the skin and you will notice how well the skin looks and feels immediately.
- Add a Mild , Healthy Veggie Broth Boost: Give your body and skin and extra boost with a shot of homemade veggie broth. This cooked vitamin/mineral elixir is as powerful as vegetable juice and combats even the most exhausted mid-winter physical blues.
- ½ Gallon Distilled Water
- 3 cups cut up Organic Butternut Squash (great for the eyes and complexion)
- 1 peeled, Organic Celery Root
- 3 Organic Parsnips
- 1 Clove of Garlic (for an energy boost)
- In a large pot add Distilled Water, Butternut Squash, Celery Root, Parsnips and Garlic. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce to low heat and let simmer for about 50-60 minutes. Do not allow the liquid to boil away. Turn off heat and let cool. Drink a cup of vegetable broth for an amazing energy pick up or add it to soup for an extra boost.
Drinking water is not only the first step towards healthier, more beautiful skin, it’s the first step towards a healthier body and taking better care of our whole self.
3 Cheers for Wonderful Water!!