The winter season is upon us! Time for cold weather, hot chocolate and…central heating. During this time of year, those of us who suffer from dry skin become increasingly aware of how parched our skin feels from head to toe. We need to put extra effort into keeping our skin hydrated and healthy despite the elements. Here are some tips to hydrate, protect and nourish your skin through the winter weather.
- Drinking lots of water is critical. Tea, coffee, juice and other liquids do not count and often add to dehydration. Alkaline water is the best, especially when the body is dehydrated. We often think about drinking water as we “glisten” through the summer months, but with the combination of dry cold outside and dry central heating inside, it’s just as important to drink lots of water through the winter months as well.
- If the skin is still dry and even itchy, add Spectrum Cold Pressed Oils to your grocery list. Apricot oil is an ÀTOI favorite. It’s delicious and it moisturizes the skin from within so the skin feels soft and balanced during even the coldest weather. Plus, it tastes so much like butter, you can use it for anything from baking to cooking and even on toast!
- Avocados are a skin saver as well because they are loaded with vitamin A which helps nourish the skin and even improve fine lines. Have them as often as you can; they are that beneficial to the skin.
- It may be cold outside, but hot, lengthy showers or baths are especially drying over extended periods of time. Hot water actually cooks the skin so it feels more like leather. Reducing the heat from hot to warm water will help heal and improve the skin. Be careful not to use hot water on the face either.
- Switch to fragrance free, Olive Oil Castille Soap such as Conti Soap. Body washes and liquid soap can be both irritating and drying.
- Almond Massage Oil is a great option in place of the usual body moisturizers which often leave the skin feeling even more dry. Apply it immediately after your shower when the skin is still wet, then towel dry. It’s a wonderful cure for dryness!
- For the face and neck, cleansing and moisturizing with ÀTOI’s Nourishing and/or Revitalizing Collagen Lines will save and restore your skin. The Nourishing Night Cream is even phenomenal for dry, cracked hands!
- For extra hydration, layer several ÀTOI creams thickly creating a “packing” that is essentially a super hydration mask. Relax and allow the skin to absorb the creams. After 10-15 minutes, massage the creams in and blot away any excess with an unscented tissue.
The beginning of winter doesn’t mean the end of beautiful, hydrated skin. For more tips check out atoiskincare.com or call us at 212-929-2182 for advice on how to keep your skin nourished and radiant!