Razor burn can be a frustrating and complex problem for the men who suffer from it. It can begin with a simple sensitivity that becomes compounded as one continues to shave over aggravated skin. The irritation increases and makes the shaving process increasingly unpleasant. Because many factors can contribute to this type of irritation, solving the problem takes a little detective work. Your skin functions like the indicator lights in your automobile, the red flashing light is simply to bring your attention to another potential problem. It is the largest organ of the body and if something bothers or disturbs the whole body system, it will likely show in the complexion. In many cases the sensitivity comes from our diet. Here are a few of the tried and true solutions ÀTOI Skincare has developed in our many years in the skincare profession.
Skin is the largest organ of the body and if something bothers or disturbs the whole body system, it will likely show in the complexion.
- Make sure your water intake is sufficient. Coffee, tea, soda and fruit juices are not a replacement for water. In fact orange juice, apple juice and soda can actually aggravate the problem by producing too much acidity in the body and making the skin more and more sensitive. In fact we recommend an alkaline water such as Neo Water because it’s delicious and keeps the acidity levels balanced.
- Along these same lines, it is also wise to limit your intake of high acidity foods such as ketchup, tomato sauce, vinegar and hot sauce. You can have and enjoy these foods, but eating them day in and day out can and usually does take its toll on the complexion.
- Strong colognes and aftershave lotions with alcohol can dry and therefore contribute to the aggravation of the skin. The ÀTOI Soothing Toner is a superb, gentle, alcohol free alternative.
- Scented detergents and fabric softeners are filled with potentially irritating chemicals and fragrances. Try unscented detergent such as All and skip the fabric softener. If you cannot do without fabric softener try unscented sheets. They are easier on the skin. Also, after showering or shaving, do not use a towel to dry face. There is always a soap residue in towels that is not helpful to the complexion. Instead, let the face air dry or blot with unscented white Kleenex if you are in a hurry.
- Switch to single blade razors and change the blade with each shave. This helps avoid the buildup of irritating bacteria.
- Be Gentle! Despite the hair growing out of them, the chinny chin chin and neck are still areas that are prone to sensitivity. Using too much pressure when shaving or applying Cleansers or other products will only add to the irritation.
- Keep a routine. You might not shave every day, but keeping up on a daily ÀTOI Cleansing and Moisturizing routine will keep the skin calm, clear, hydrated and smooth between sessions and keep extra irritation caused by shaving at bay.
Most of us are on hectic schedules and we tend not to pay attention to many of the daily habits which irritate the body and the skin and, over a period of time, erupt in painful razor burn. We forget that a smart diet, avoiding irritating and drying products and treating sensitive skin with a little TLC can be the best start to achieving healthier looking skin.
For an amazing boost for the complexion, we recommend the ÀTOI Soothing Cleansing Milk & Toner. This dynamic duo will jump-start your complexion and calm and hydrate irritated skin. Not only will your skin feel a whole lot better, ÀTOI Cleansers actually reduce fine lines and wrinkles while thoroughly cleansing the skin. Looking our best is a big boost — especially when we can solve one of life’s irritations at the same time. For more advice or recommendations for beginning your journey to healthy, happy skin, call our trained professionals at 212-929-2182.